The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [278]
Season [231]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1533
Series: 20
Stories: 289
Chapters: 1547
Word count: 7905728
Authors: 58
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: Jacak
 

Search





Graduation by aliceinwonderbra

[Reviews - 22]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes:

This is one of the promised one-shots in the Flowers and/or Girl universes. There are (tentatively) two more to finish.

Thanks to Electra for beta!

GRADUATION

“Speech!” They chant, as Dawn gradually turns red. “Speech!”

As Xander propels her toward the steps of his deck, Dawn tries to protest. “I didn’t win the Nobel prize; I graduated high school.” The flip flops she’s got on show off her pedicure nicely, but they offer no traction to stop Xander’s forward marching. Damn California weather, Dawn thinks ruefully.

 “In Sunnydale?” Xander scoffs. “Living through graduation is a big accomplishment.”

“A good quarter of our graduating class was eaten by the Mayor,” Willow confirms from where she’s reclining on the loveseat, feet in Oz’s lap and a wine cooler dangling from her loose fingers.

Oz pats Willow’s leg reassuringly and adds, “These young whippersnappers have no idea what we went through.”

“Oh, my God,” Dawn moans. “It was like four years ago. Stop with the ‘back in my day,’ stuff.”

“In my day, a woman was more likely to be betrothed to a troll than to achieve secondary education,” Anya says matter-of-factly, seemingly unperturbed by how disturbing this anecdote is.

As she’s pushed past the ottoman Faith’s feet rest on, Dawn implores, “A little help here?”

Faith shakes her head. “Sorry, brainiac, you did the graduating and now you must pay the price.” She takes a swig of her beer, then adds, “Also we chipped in on your car, so I feel we’re owed a little something.”

Dawn rolls her eyes as Xander finally allows her to stop moving. In the waning sun of the backyard, she squints to look around their small group. Xander drops into the chair beside his wife, grinning back at her encouragingly. Giles waits politely for her to begin. Willow sits up, tipsy but willing to put her full attention on Dawn for this important moment. Buffy’s firmly pressed to Faith’s side, where she usually is. It’s enough to make you want to puke—or at least that’s what Dawn tells them regularly. Secretly though, she’s glad. She knows what it took to get them here.

“I guess I’ll start with some thanks,” Dawn says a little nervously. Her eyes land on Oz, and he nods. Dawn finds his stoicism oddly encouraging and she continues, “Uh, Willow, you know everything about everything, and I wouldn’t have passed trig without you.”

Willow raises her wine cooler, sloshing a little free as she takes a seated bow.

Over the sound of their laughter, Dawn adds, “Giles, you let me work in the shop, which gets me out of the house when Buffy and Faith are in one of their ‘honeymoon’ periods.”

“Boo!” Buffy says, cupping her mouth with both hands. “Boo! Bad speech! Slander and totally untrue lie-filled lies!”

Anya waves her hand in their direction. “We all know it’s true. Go on, Dawnie.”

Dawn smiles devilishly, looking back and forth between Giles and Buffy’s matching red faces. She isn’t sure which one is more embarrassed. Deciding to take pity on them, Dawn gets a little more serious. “Buffy,” she says, and Buffy sits up at attention, “you’ve saved my life more times than I can count, literally.” She rubs her palms together nervously. “I know I didn’t make it easy when you got here,” she admits, “but you always let me know you loved me, even when I was the world’s biggest jerk.” She meets Buffy’s tear-filled eyes. “You are the best sister I could ever have asked for.”

Dawn’s speech is put on pause as Buffy stands and nearly knocks her down with the force of her hug. Barely able to speak from how tightly she’s being squeezed, Dawn manages to say one last thanks. “And thanks to Faith for letting me play hooky whenever I wanted.”

“What!” Buffy says, releasing her abruptly.

Dawn smiles at the look of fear beginning to show on Faith’s face. “Happy graduation to me!” She finishes, fishing a wine cooler free of the ice chest now that the slayers are otherwise engaged.

“I don’t think so,” someone says, as the bottle is plucked from her fingertips.

Dawn turns around with a smile. “You guys made it!” She says happily before frowning. “And now you’re drinking my drink.”

“Congratulations,” Tara tells her, hugging Dawn quickly. “I’m so proud of you!” She takes another sip of the frosty bottle. “And I can’t wait to celebrate your 21st birthday with you, but until then…”

“I know,” Dawn says with a sigh. “I’m the Diet Coke queen.”

“Hey, it could be worse,” Tara’s girlfriend points out. “Try being a rat for a couple years; you’ll be dying for a Diet Coke.”

Dawn rolls her eyes at Amy. “Yuk, yuk, yuk.”

“Congratulations, brat,” Amy says, holding out a rectangular card.

Dawn accepts it happily. “This looks suspiciously like a money holder.” She teases, “Rat girl, I didn’t know you cared.”

“I totally don’t,” Amy says dryly. “Tara just signed my name.”

“I did take half the money from your wallet though,” Tara says, smiling at Amy’s disgruntled look. “So what did we miss, and why does Buffy look about three seconds from putting Faith in a headlock?”

XXXXX

Buffy’s teeth worry her bottom lip as she pulls back the blanket on her side of the bed. “It’s getting late,” she points out. “Do you think we should call her? Just to make sure she’s okay?”

Faith waits while Buffy settles herself under the covers, then she switches off the bedside lamp. “Buffy, it’s her graduation night. She knows how to take care of herself. It’s time to cut the cord.” She reaches for Buffy, laughing as the other slayer smacks her shoulder.

“The cord has been cut,” Buffy insists. “I’m just saying, she could be anywhere, doing anything.”

Faith tugs Buffy’s arm until she slides a little closer. “She’s fine,” Faith reassures her.

Buffy nods in agreement, letting Faith wrap her arms around her. “You’re right,” she says, snuggling into Faith’s embrace.

Faith kisses the top of Buffy’s head gently, letting her fingers creep under the bottom of Buffy’s t-shirt to find warm, soft skin. “She’s all grown up now,” Faith says, softly stroking Buffy’s back. “When did that happen?”

“I don’t know,” Buffy says, “but I don’t like it. I still look at her and see the kid who blew up my Easy Bake Oven.” She slides a leg between Faith’s, squishing the two of them as close together as possible.

Faith chuckles, ruffling Buffy’s hair with her breath. “She was a total terror, wasn’t she? I remember back when B and me first got together. Dawn caught us making out on the porch—this was before we told your mom about us—and she blackmailed B for her allowance for about three weeks.”

Buffy laughs, looking up to see Faith’s soft smile. “Then what happened? Did she tell?”

“Joyce finally sat us all down in the living room, said she wasn’t blind and that Dawn had to give the money back.” Faith grimaces comically. “Then she chewed us out for sneaking around.”

“Sounds like Mom,” Buffy says with a smirk.

“Oh yeah,” Faith agrees. “She also cornered me alone later and told me if I didn’t treat her daughter with respect, I’d feel her wrath.”

“Oh my God!”

“I about peed my pants,” Faith admits.

“I bet you did,” Buffy says, imaging her mother’s stern face. She blinks back sudden tears. “I wish she could be here. She’d be so proud of Dawn.”

Faith kisses her upturned face. “She’d be proud of you too. She raised some amazing women.”

Buffy tightens her hold on Faith. “Some hers and some adopted,” she adds purposely.

Faith shrugs, embarrassed.

Kissing Faith’s collarbone, Buffy says, “I wouldn’t have made it here without you.”

“You would have,” Faith assures her. After a beat, she adds, “You wouldn’t have nearly so much amazing sex though.”

Buffy laughs, the somber mood broken. “Oh, you don’t think so?” She scoffs. “I am Buffy, goddess of sex. All sex with me is amazing.”

Faith snorts.

“Are you challenging me?”

“Yes,” Faith says with a wide smile.

XXXXX

Buffy has the dream less and less these days, but sometimes it still creeps into her subconscious. The broom handle feels familiar in her hands as she begins to sweep up the broken glass in Faith’s bedroom. Faith’s never there, which Buffy supposes makes sense. The only time they were in this dream together Faith was in a coma and Buffy was on the verge herself, reeling from letting Angel drink her blood. It’s Faith's destroyed apartment, her room that never stays clean, no matter how many nights Buffy’s mind takes her here. Buffy doesn’t really understand how the dimensional walls work, but she thinks maybe Faith can’t be there. Buffy fell through the portal into another world, and whatever force tied her mind to Faith’s was left behind. At least that’s what she thought, the few times she wondered about it.

Buffy finishes sweeping the floor.

“It’ll only get messy again,” a familiar voice says, startling Buffy so badly she wheels with her fists raised, prepared to fight.

Faith stands in the doorway, looking at Buffy uncertainly.

Buffy’s lips part in surprise.

“Guess you’re not happy to see me,” Faith says quietly, brushing her long hair away from her face.

“No, I…” Buffy’s eyes bounce around, taking her in. Her skin looks healthy and tan, so different than the last time Buffy saw her. She’s traded in the skintight black clothes for a fitted button down and well worn jeans. A Celtic cross glints at the hollow of her throat. Buffy drops her fists to her sides. “Faith?” She asks, bewildered.

“Yeah,” Faith says, studying Buffy just as intently. “It’s me.”

“How?” Buffy asks. “How is it you?”

Faith takes a small step closer, watching Buffy as if she might turn and flee at any moment. “I’m not sure,” she admits. “You’re not usually here. Are you sure you’re real?”

“I’m real,” Buffy says, taken aback. “I’m always here. You aren’t here. Maybe you’re the one who’s not real.”

Faith squints at her before breaking into a tentative smile. “Okay, now I know you’re real. I don’t think even dream B can pull off that level of annoyance with me.”

“I’m not annoyed,” Buffy protests, before she catches Faith’s smirk. “Oh, you’re kidding.”

Faith nods.

They stare at one another for a moment. Then Buffy asks, “You come here a lot?”

“Uh, yeah,” Faith admits. “Sometimes.” She looks around the messy bedroom, troubled. “I guess because this was the last time we were on the same side.” When she smiles, it’s barely an upturn of her lips. “And it wasn’t even real.”

“It was real,” Buffy counters. Now she walks toward Faith, stopping a few feet away. “It was real,” she says again earnestly.

“Too little too late,” Faith says, shaking her head.

Buffy smiles sadly. “It’s never too late,” she says. “Look at us. We’re here, aren’t we?”

Faith searches her face for any sign of deception. Finding none, she swallows hard and says, “I never thought we would be. I don’t know how this happened, but before whatever ripple happened in the dimensional wall disappears—I’d take it all back. Every thing I ever did to you.” She keeps talking as Buffy begins to shake her head. “I just want you to know that. I’m sorry, B. I’ll be sorry all my life.”

Buffy’s eyes squeeze shut, and her voice sounds thick when she says, “I forgive you.”

Taken aback, Faith asks, “Just like that?”

Opening her eyes, Buffy shakes her head. “I forgave you a long time ago. Where I am now… there’s another Faith. She helped me see…” Buffy trails off, struggling to find the words, then re-starts. “You hurt me, but not everything was your fault.” Buffy sits down on the edge of the bed, knotting her hands in her lap. “I’m sorry, too,” she admits. “I wish I could do it over.”

Faith sits gingerly beside her, well aware that she and Buffy have rarely been this close together without trying to kill each other. “You tried,” she says gently. “Took me a long time to see it, but I know you tried.”

Buffy looks at her, almost shyly. “I thought you and I were just, you know, oil and water, totally unmixy things, but I don’t think that’s true anymore. We just messed it all up.”

“That we did,” Faith says with a sigh. She looks down at her lap. “There’s a Buffy at home, too.”

Buffy picks up on the caginess of Faith’s demeanor, and deduces, “Funny how we ended up together after all.”

Faith looks back in surprise. “You and Faith?”

“You and Buffy,” Buffy says back, laughing.

“Wow,” Faith says, joining her. It feels good, laughing with Buffy. Talking to her.

More at ease now, Buffy turns toward her, curling her foot under her other knee. “How’s the gang? Dawnie?” She asks curiously.

“Dawn graduated high school today,” Faith informs her. “She’s going to college up state.”

Buffy’s hand drifts unconsciously to her heart. She beams, her eyes a little wet. “Can you tell her—tell her I wish I could be there with her?”

Nodding, Faith agrees. “I’ll tell her.”

“How about the others?”

“Willow and Tara are getting married later this summer,” Faith says. “G’s been spending more time in merry old England. Think he’s got a lady friend there, but he ain’t talking.”

Buffy laughs, absolutely delighted. “I’m so happy for them! Well, happy in the sense of never, ever wanting to think about Giles having lady friends, but still, happy!”

Faith laughs, knowing the feeling. She adds, “Xand is good too. He just started seeing someone new. Seems like this one is gonna stick.”

“Oh?” Buffy says in surprise. “He’s not with Anya?”

“They split up before I got back to town,” Faith answers.

Buffy nods thoughtfully, then asks, “Angel?”

“Still fighting the good fight.”

Buffy’s grateful for that knowledge. A world without Angel still seems wrong to her. “And you?” She asks. “You’re happy?”

“Yes,” Faith says surely. “I left prison when the gang needed me. I was going to go back,” she begins to explain, suddenly feeling guilty, but Buffy cuts her off, placing her hand gently on Faith’s.

“It’s good you’re out,” she says firmly. “The world needs you.”

Faith’s eyes let Buffy know she’s grateful for the sentiment. “What about you?” She asks.

“I’m good,” Buffy tells her. “She’s very good to me,” she adds, flushing a little.

Faith smiles at the utter weirdness of their conversation. “I’m glad.”

 “Giles thought maybe I switched places with the Buffy that used to be in this world,” Buffy says.

“Could be.”

“Maybe you can tell her—I mean, let her know she doesn’t have to worry. Her family is safe.”

“I’ll tell her,” Faith says.

“Thank you,” Buffy says. She meets Faith’s eyes. “I don’t know how this happened but I’m glad I got to see you.”

“Me too,” Faith agrees.

Looking around at the chaotic room, Buffy wrinkles her nose. “I hope I won’t keep dreaming of this place. It’s gonna be even more depressing now.”

“Actually,” Faith says, standing up. “I think I know what we need to do.” She holds out her hand to Buffy. “Try something with me?”

Without hesitation, Buffy accepts it and stands up.

Faith walks the two of them to the door to the apartment. Gripping the doorknob, she looks at Buffy. “I think this is gonna work, but we have to close our eyes.”

“Okay,” Buffy says skeptically, but she closes her eyes nonetheless.

Faith does the same before turning the doorknob and stepping through the doorway. As Buffy steps after her, music begins to play. Grinning, Faith opens her eyes to see a shocked Buffy standing next to her in formalwear.

“Are we at the school?” Buffy asks, reaching her hands toward her head to feel her upswept hair. “What the hell?”

“Homecoming,” Faith says, looking down at her own black dress. “The way we should have done it.”

Buffy looks behind them at the open door to Faith’s apartment, incredibly out of place in the middle of the transformed cafeteria.

“You can close it,” Faith says. “We don’t need it anymore.”

Buffy hesitates a moment, then gently closes the door, watching as it evaporates into thin air. “Faith? Are you still here?” She asks, almost afraid to turn to look.

“I’m here,” Faith says, taking her hand. “I’m not sure how long we’ve got, but I’m here.”

Buffy turns toward her, squeezing her hand. “You’re not getting out of here without a dance.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it, B,” Faith says, grinning. “Come on.”

XXXXX

Faith gradually becomes aware of the warmth of her bed and the solid frame pressed against hers. She opens her eyes to find Buffy propped on her elbow, gazing down at Faith with a soft smile on her face. The early morning light has just begun to seep through their curtains, making Buffy’s long hair look like a halo around her face. “Hi,” Faith says sleepily. “What are you doing up?”

“Waiting for you,” Buffy says, brushing some of Faith’s tangled hair over her shoulder. “Good dream?”

Faith blinks in confusion before it dawns on her. “Did you do that?”

“Not me per se, but it was my idea,” Buffy admits.

“Why?” Faith asks, confused.

“Was it a bad idea?” Buffy asks, grimacing. “I’m sorry, Faith. You cry out sometimes in your sleep, and I thought… I don’t know; I thought you needed the closure. It was only supposed to work if you both wanted it to. I shouldn’t have—”

Faith cuts her off with a firm hug. “Thank you,” she says into Buffy’s neck. “It wasn’t a bad idea.”

Relieved, Buffy squeezes her back.

“How did you do it?” Faith asks. “I thought that would be impossible.”

“My best friend is a very powerful witch,” Buffy reminds her.

“I guess I owe Tara one.”

“Willow helped a bit, too,” Buffy says, smiling. She rubs Faith’s back. “So it was okay? She was okay?”

Faith leans back so they can see each other. “She’s okay,” she says. “She doesn’t hate me anymore.” She looks surprised at her own words. “Kind of hard to believe, but that’s what she said.”

“Maybe she never really did,” Buffy suggests thoughtfully.

Faith tucks a piece of hair behind Buffy’s ear, her hand lingering on her neck. “I cry out in my sleep?”

Buffy nods, her brow furrowing.

“I’m sorry,” Faith says. “I didn’t know.”

“Nothing to be sorry about,” Buffy says quickly.

“I don’t want you to ever think I’m not happy with you, or that I’d rather have her, or anybody else,” Faith says sincerely. She tugs gently on Buffy’s hair. “You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me. You know that, right?”

Buffy kisses her firmly. “I know how much you love me,” she says. “I love you too.” She lies down, wiggling her arm beneath Faith’s head. “Let’s go back to sleep,” she suggests. “I need more cuddles before work. Also, I’m afraid I’ll get up and find Dawn’s still not home, and then I’ll have to kill her, and you for telling her she doesn’t have to keep curfew anymore.”

Faith laughs, kissing Buffy’s neck as she burrows in close to her. “Tell a woman you love her and get death threats, hmm?”

“Probably a slayer thing,” Buffy says, closing her eyes and stifling a yawn.

“B?” Faith says a moment later, startling Buffy back to consciousness.

“Mhmm?”

“She wanted me to tell you they’re okay—your Faith and Dawn.”

Buffy’s quiet for a moment, then she says, “Thank you.”

Faith kisses her neck, closing her eyes to get back to sleep. She wraps her arm around Buffy’s waist, letting her fingers gently wind in her hair. Listening to the sound of Buffy’s heartbeat, Faith drifts off to sleep. From now on, she’ll only dream good dreams. 

Chapter end notes:

Hope you liked! :)


Chapter Views:




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.